Saturday, July 4, 2009

Another Kind of Beautiful

I never hoped to be beautiful, not in the pretty girl who always gets her way because she's pretty sense anyway. Beauty I of that nature, purely physical beauty, is fleeting I always thought. It has no real substance. I had always hope for far more for myself. I wanted people to see the complex inner working of my heart and mind and appreciate me for that, not for what I may look like. I do not want to be simply the girl who skates through life on her appearance. I don't want to be the pretty girl. I want to be the girl who is unique in her own right. I want desperately to be loved for who I am, and I want someone who is willing to take the time to find out who that person is. I don't want to just be the girl who can joke around. I want to be the real girl who possesses great depth, compassion, wisdom, intellect, humor, understanding, and love. And in those things, I hope to be beautiful. I hope that perhaps one day someone will see all the intricate details within my heart and find them fascinating and intriguing. I'm not certain that is something my future holds, but I continue to hope that it is.

Bethany Dillon "Beautiful"
I was so unique
Now I feel skin deep
I count on the make-up to cover it all
Crying myself to sleep cause I cannot keep their attention
I thought I could be strong
But it's killing me

Does someone hear my cry?
I'm dying for new life

[Chorus]
I want to be beautiful
Make you stand in awe
Look inside my heart,
and be amazed
I want to hear you say
Who I am is quite enough
Just want to be worthy of love
And beautiful

Sometimes I wish I was someone other than me
Fighting to make the mirror happy
Trying to find whatever is missing
Won't you help me back to glory

[Chorus]

You make me beautiful
You make me stand in awe
You step inside my heart, and I am amazed
I love to hear You say
Who I am is quite enough
You make me worthy of love and beautiful

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the mindset that certain people skate through life based on physical appearance is one of Satan's great myths. No one will ever feel fulfilled to do so, and human nature will continue to judge with presumptuous minds what these "beautiful people" get or don't have to go through to get. It's garbage because our first inclination when we meet someone is to judge that person. The first attribute we can base our judgments on is physical. Then we go from there on how we will treat this person. If we judge that they have had a hard life, we may take pity on them and go easy. And if we think they are one of those lucky ones, we might harden our hearts to them and reserve our compassion for someone else. Thus, these "beautiful, lucky bitches" miss out on deeply needed human connections.