Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Brave Heart

I was asked some poignant questions the other night regarding what, in a tangible way, it looks like to truly seek Christ and truly want nothing more than Him. My friend who asked me about this matter wondered aloud what the secret was of people like Moses and other great men of the Bible. My immediate response is that these men, men like David who was described as a man after God's own heart, were not ruled by fear. I am of the belief that truly great people do not allow their lives to be dictated to them by their fears of what others may think of them or fears of disappointing someone or really any other sort of fear for that matter. I think that these men knew that doing the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing was far more pleasing to God than it was important to please man. They were not concerned with things of this world. They had character, integrity, and brave hearts. These men and women, Rahab for example, chose Christ over man, despite the fact that their choice was not always popular. They served a king. They knew 2 Corinithians 4:16-18 to be true and lived their lives accordingly.

I know it is a lofty goal, yet I find myself hoping that perhaps I too can be like these people. I do not dare put myself in the same category as King David, yet I still pray that I can live my life to please my God and not to please any man. Surely, I can lay aside my own pride and follow a King who gave his own life to save mine. As my courageous friend Scott Bradley Stream said with regard to sacrificing his life for freedom and our great nation, "it is but a small thing". Certainly to die to myself for my Savior is a small thing as well.

No comments: