Wednesday, April 11, 2012

$4.96

At church Sunday Kris encouraged us to feast over the next 50 days...the Great 50 Days to be exact, those following Easter. That's a lovely idea in theory, but what if you were unable to feast? What if you simply did not have the means to participate in this joyous celebration?

This morning on my way to work, I had to stop and get gas. I was initially in a bit of a hurry, and my mind was racing to remember everything I had to do during the day. I stopped at a gas station in my neighborhood, and as I got out of the car to pump my gas I couldn't help but think "ugh, I hope no one asks me for money", which, in my neighborhood is a fairly common occurrence. Sure enough though, as soon as I got out of my car, a gentleman walked up to me and asked for cash. "sir, I'm sorry, but I don't have any cash." which to be fair, i didn't have any. He held out his hands, filled with a few Starlite mints and pocket lint and said "but this is my breakfast. Please will you buy me something to eat? I'll pump your gas for you." How's that for a humbling Wednesday morning?

I finished pumping my gas and took the man inside to get something for breakfast. His request wasn't extravagant by any means. He wanted 2 hot dogs, 2 bags of chips, and a can of soda. This was his feast. It was a grand total of $4.96. I still have the receipt. It's a good reminder of humility, compassion, and kindness.

I sit here in my warm, cozy bed with a hot cup of coffee and the freedom to go anywhere I'd like to eat whatever I choose should I so desire. I can feast as little or as much as I want to, yet this man...his feast is worth more to me than most any other. I learned so much from such a brief exchange, the least of the lessons being that a feast can cost as little as $4.96

No comments: