Thursday, April 25, 2013

why is it that unconditional love is such a surprising notion? should it not be the very nature and foundation of any real friendship? isn't the point of a friendship to be involved with someone who loves and appreciates you for who you are in your entirety and not in spite of who you are? so often I am insistent that people grant me the grace and mercy to have the freedom to be myself and feel whatever why i may choose. how then can i not allow the same consideration for others? that being said, do not think i find this an easy task. for some reason it is the hardest for me when it involves my beloved mom whom i love and adore and respect dearly. yet she has this overwhelming power to annoy me to no end? why? i wish i knew. For whatever reason it is so difficult for me at times to be gentle and kind to the one person who deserves it most. certainly i need to make a far more concerted effort to do so. what about in everyday life? i know for other people being kind to strangers is far more difficult than being kind to loved ones. For me it's much easier. why? simple. they can't hurt me so there's never the risk of any love lost like with people in my inner circle who weld the power to tear away at my closely protected heart. i don't know though. ultimately i think sharing this grace, mercy, and love is ultimately the whole point of Jesus in the first place. while all the pageantry of church is lovely, it doesn't hold a candle to treating people with dignity and respect. i for one will continue striving to do precisely that, particularly with my wonderful mother.

2 comments:

David Dihel said...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

David Dihel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.