Sunday, November 9, 2008

Drowning

A friend of mine is drowning. Not in the literal sense, but she is drowning in her own fear, anguish, sorrow, damaged self esteem, and in a pool of alcohol used to try to cover it all up and make it go away.

I'm standing on the outskirts of all of this, watching and waiting, knowing that soon enough, I will need to be there to help pull her from the waves and drag her to shore. I was a lifeguard for years. I learned to rescue all different types of drowning victims. I am waiting on this friend to become a passive victim. I hope that she will stop fighting and give in and allow God to save her. I will fight with her for as long as it takes, but I too grow weary.

Lord, please, make her passive. Take her down, knock her out, whatever it takes to get her to the point at which she has no option but to choose you...to choose life, and to choose love. Give me the endurance to withstand this fight. I cannot, and I will not walk away. Not now, not ever. Her heart and her life is yours. She is worth the arduous battle. I know you have plans for her...great plans, for you have promised that. I know too, that if she were not achieving for you an eternal glory, Satan would not hold onto her with such ferocious tenacity. Make your greatness known Lord. Destroy this stronghold. Free her from her pain. Breathe into her new life. Give her love...the redeeming love that only YOU can offer. God, do this. I beg of you.

1 comment:

Blessed said...

you are a good friend, i am thankful for you!!!