Tuesday, May 4, 2010

To Give


To have the capacity and ability to give to other people is an incredible thing. Ideally it would be nice to be able to change someone's life in a completely dramatic way; however, I wonder how much a day might be changed by a simple smile, a kind word, or a gentle touch. Could we each possess the power to change the world by such simple actions?

If there is any plausibility to the butterfly effect at all, I think that this is in fact quite possible. Granted, some hurdles may be more difficult to cross than others, but imagine a day in which you pass by people on the street and actually acknowledge each individual. It astounds me that we live in those huge cosmopolitan cities surrounded by millions of people and yet have no contact with another person at all in a given day. I know at times I have been very depressed and felt terribly alone. I would've given anything to have someone act like I was alive. Instead, I made my way through the day quietly and unnoticed. I wonder how my day may have been altered had someone taken an interest in the forlorn girl in the corner with her face buried in a book pretending to have a bustling life with a phone that wouldn't stop buzzing for a minute because she was so terribly popular.

I have tried for years to fill a void in my life with all sorts of superficial, meaningless things, from dresses to shoes to fruitless relationships. I've found that giving back to others has allowed me to settle into being myself. The joy of giving is one of the greatest feelings I can imagine. To see another person smile because of some small sacrifice I make...well, I'd give anything I have for that. All of the money in the world can't buy that joy.

No comments: