Monday, February 6, 2012

We are the dreamers of the dreams...

I remember that line from long ago when I was a little girl. Gene Wilder says it in Willie Wonka, or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...whatever it's called. At any rate, the quote is something along the lines of "We are the music makers and the dreamers of the dreams..." I love that notion, but then I wonder what might happen if we dared to speak of those dreams instead of tucking them away in the bastions of our souls. What may happen if those dreams were allowed the freedom to take flight?
I know in my own life it's hard to say, as I rarely remember dreaming, much less are my dreams clear enough to recall. I don't remember the last time I set about establishing any dreams or goals, conventional or otherwise. Or maybe wanting to get paid to paint and write is a dream. Perhaps. But I think in my head those notions seem so unrealistic I hesitate to even think upon them. Of course, that may be the beauty of a dream in the first place.
So I wonder, what is it that others dream? Is it the unrealistic nature of a dream that makes it so beautiful to begin with? And is it the cynic inside me that holds my dreams at bay? If that is the case, how to break that trend? How does one defeat a seemingly undying cynicism that is bedded deeply inside the most far reaching bulwarks of his or her heart? Is there a solution? A cure?
I imagine if there is, it is a simple one...love

No comments: