Saturday, March 10, 2012

funny how at 1am, even after downing night-time theraflu and having been sick for 4 days i still can't sleep. i even tried watching some mindless movie. still a no go. so as i lay here in the comfort of my bed, wrapped in my piles of blankets and cloud-like pillows, my mind has the freedom to wander.
and so as i sift through my countless thoughts, i land again upon the thought of my lovely and beautiful friend michelle.
you see, michelle was one of those radiant sorts of people who simply drew you into her. you wanted to know everything about her and felt compelled to share your life with her as well. her very nature elicited an urgent desire to do something to bless her for all that she so graciously did for others. often people have said of my dad that when he walked into a room, he was the room. michelle was the same way. not in an arrogant sense as though she demanded attention and respect, but her loving, kind, and beautiful countenance simply commanded it by virtue of it's own nature. michelle's smile quite literally lit up her face, as if the stars themselves were lit by the dancing fire in her eyes. and in all this, i think the most wonderful thing about her is her deep and true sincerity. i know without a doubt that when michelle told me how much she loved me it was as real as the day is long. there was never even a hint of some superficial, careless word to come out of that girl's mouth. she spoke with great care and consideration, always conscious of the impact her words would make upon the person to whom she was speaking. even in hard conversations though, michelle always would encourage you, never choosing to belittle or berate a person for his or her choice. her approach was always one of kindness and compassion.

now i sit here thinking too about how much michelle loved Jesus and the church. and then think back upon all i learned growing up from parents who felt the same. i wonder if perhaps now michelle and my dad are sitting there commiserating on how to next put me in some strategic place to bang on my stubborn head a bit more. they'd have fun the two of them, playing their little chess game with my life.

then i wonder, why is it that i am so stubborn and so arrogant? have i missed the point of it all? did everything pass me by while i was up on my mountain looking down at all of this? i've had people tell me before that i have no idea how smart i am. that's not true though. i'm fully aware of it. i just try not to let on. but i have been arrogant about that gift and thought i could use it to figure out all of this. i know full well that i have been blessed an incredible amount intellect and capacity for understanding intricate philosophies and theories. but i have misused that it seems. i have tried my best to use that gift to disprove all of this. to find any and every reason why it just can't be true. and at the end of the day, i'm still left sad, lonely, and empty-handed. there is no grand sense of satisfaction. there isn't a quintessential eureka moment where i prove everyone wrong and walk off laughing at the lot of fools. i am the fool.

i've often said i think prayer is used to manipulate a situation. perhaps intellect is the very same. what is it kris said about things being good slaves but not good masters?

i still don't at all understand a good portion of christian lingo. if you tell me to let go and let god, i have no idea what you mean. i still need very practical applications for these terribly ambiguous ideas, but i am willing to lay down my sword and simply listen now. i am not in this for a fight. in fact, i don't know that i ever have been. i am not trying to question every last bit. i am trying to make some sense of things, but maybe kris was right too when he mentioned not needing to know the answers to it all and being okay with some of the mystery.

2 comments:

Tad said...

Right after I left those books for you, I read one of your posts from last week and realized that God's servants were already killing the fatted calf. Please don't be so hard on yourself, we've all been arrogant and prideful. That's why the Gospel is Good News. And, no, I don't always understand the Christian lingo either.

To this day I still don't pray because, the way I see it, if it's God's will then it'll happen whether I pray for it or not; but if it's NOT God's will, no amount of prayers will change the outcome - God's will will get done! So, in the end why pray? What difference does it make?

And while I have no problem "letting go" and "letting God" take care of some things in my life (my finances, for example); I have tremendous difficulty trusting Him with my romantic relationships...especially after I consider His poor track record in that area! It's extremely difficult to continue trusting someone who has let me down so many times before.

I don't have the answers to all of your questions. As I'm sure you don't have the answers to all of mine. We just have to believe that someday we will understand it. It's like an infant at the pediatrician's office. The kid knows his parents are in the room, after all he can see them. But he doesn't understand why they are letting this strange man in white stab him with a needle!?!? Don't they love me? Don't they care? How can they let this horrible thing happen? How can they stand by and do NOTHING while I suffer so much pain? The poor kid doesn't understand either. But if he knew the bigger picture he'd see that his parents allowed the doctor to give the shot because there was a greater good...even though the child couldn't comprehend it.

Sorry, am I rambling AGAIN?! By the way, sorry that letter was so long, I tend to ramble.

~ Tad

Anonymous said...

Why pray? Well...do you talk to your friends? Do they talk to you? Or do you just sit and look at each other all the time? (I'm not being facetious here, just really stop and think about this)

How do you get to know another person? By just reading a book about them (that'd be nice sometimes, yes! :) )< or by talking with them and asking their thoughts on things? He answers, He is real, He listens, He loves, He WANTS that commincation. He says to pray! Good enough for me!

I'm not very good at it, I need to do it more. But in the end, He said to, He knows it good for us, so He tells us to. Once again, it comes back to trust. Do you REALLY think He's listening? Do you REALLY know and understand, and believe (that's the important one!) that He cares, even if you feel you've been let down? I cannot tell you how many of my unanswered prayers I am SO thankful for now! He was protecting me from my foolish ignorance AND arrogance.

And on one more point: DO be hard on your arrogance and pride. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, and yes the Gospel is Good News, but the reason it's such Good News, well, it's two fold: 1) We're forgiven. 2) We have a second chance to change...by His blood, grace, and love alone.

Some lyrics to a song that has helped me:

I have spent far too much time in unbelief
Trusting my experience, not You
What my eyes have seen does not match what You say
I long for the day it all seems true

You have said that I’m a new creation
But often it looks like the same old me
It’s so hard to reconcile the two extremes
Lord, it really seems You just don’t see

Chorus:
But Jesus I believe You are the Truth
Everything the Father loves, it’s all wrapped up in You
And Jesus, if You live inside of me
Even though the road is hard, Your faithful friendship’s my reward
I’m trusting You ‘cause You are all I need

I resolve now to be done with unbelief
And trusting my experience, not You
What my eyes have seen does not change what You say
I proclaim today, that Lord, YOU are the truth

You have said that I’m a new creation
Well, Lord You know that’s good enough for me
I don’t have to bounce between the two extremes
If I give my life, my hopes & dreams to You

2nd Chorus:
And Jesus, now I KNOW You are the truth
Everything the Father loves, it’s all wrapped up in You
And Jesus, since You live inside of me
Even though the road is hard, Your faithful friendship’s my reward
I’m trusting You ‘cause You are all I need

3rd Chorus:
Ohhh Jesus, now I KNOW You are the truth
Everything the Father loves, it’s all wrapped up in You
And Jesus, YES You live inside of me
Even though the road is hard, Your faithful friendship’s my reward
I’m trusting You ‘cause You are all I need

I know because I have been where you are,...and now I am at the end of the song. You have to need Him, not tolerate Him, you have to embrace Him, not study Him. HE IS REAL. And if you trust Him, and ASK Him, and BELIEVE Him, He will show Himself to you in that very real way. You have not because you ask not...so start asking. That's a good prayer to start with. :) Much love to you Tad, in Jesus. And of course to you Alexis...

~Katrina