Thursday, March 8, 2012

i'm not sure if anyone has figured this out yet or not, but i'm a very literal person. i don't always pick up on jokes, particularly via text message as i can't ascertain a person's tone, and i generally assume anything a person says is as matter-of-fact as i am, not figurative at all. this can occasionally pose a problem in conversations or my understanding of a concept. this is particularly true in theology as it is such a vague and vast concept. that being said, when i am told to do something, i genuinely want to do that thing, whatever it may be, to the best of my ability and with a full understanding of that which i am doing.

so last night when we were told a large part of the Lenten season is forgiveness, i began to think about that notion. if you read through the Bible, we are told multiple times to forgive others. that's all well and good, but practically speaking, i have no idea what that means. there is no guidebook for how to do that. people quote quintessential churchy quips like "let go and let god" but really, does anyone have clue what that means in real life??? i certainly don't.

when jesus forgives us, my understanding is that it is the act of cancelling a debt owed to god because of our sin. the same understanding applies to forgiving another person, well sort of. i have a few questions about that.
1. we do not have the power to cancel another's debt before god. to think we do seems nothing short of extreme arrogance
2. even if i had that power, i still don't know what that looks like in my life.


i can sit and talk all day long about how i forgive someone's so called trespasses against me, but i still remember what the person did. i still approach the person cautiously like a child who has been bitten by a dog. so have i really forgiven the person? what is the marker for having completely forgiven someone? and if i forgive someone am i truly tasked with also forgiving the deed that begs forgiveness in the first place?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to not use Christian lingo,...b/c it is often very confusing to me. And I'm sure if it is for me, it is for others as well. I'll have to think for a bit to come up with what Jesus said, as I don't recall in Scripture a quote of "let go and let God"...it's a good saying though. What does it mean? To trust Him. Stop trying to do what you think is the right thing, and just learn to love Him. Just...hah! It's so hard, but SO wonderful! I understand what He meant when He said His burden is light. We need to understand that we cannot do anything without him. That we owe everything to him. He created us, He knows what's best for us. So we choose to surrender to him. All our hopes, dreams, goals, aspirations, and when we finally do this (bit by bit over time) he will fill us up with Himself and and His spirit. Which is when we began to BE different, instead of DO different. And the difference between those two things is the difference of the tree of life (BE) and the tree of knowledge (DO). Being naturally requires doing, but the inverse is rarely the case. ~Katrina

Anonymous said...

As to forgiveness, my mother described it like an onion. I think it is an excellent analogy. You peel back a layer and say, I forgive you. You choose to. My husband has apologised to me for things and I have a battel raging inside of me for an hour, because I am justified in being hurt and angry. But then, the two things that always pierce my pride and stubborness are 1) I know I have down infinately more wrong to Jesus and to the Father than my husabnd has done to me in that moment. And He has forgiven me. ("Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who trespass against us")...well that means if I want Him to keep forgiving me, then I need to forgive him. A selfish reason! But it leads to a change of heart, and over time, that struggle goes away. 2) With other people who have hurt me more deeply than anything I can describe, I will feel like I have fogiven them and then something, sometime, produces a torrent of emotion and anger towards that person. Again it is a choice, because I know my place before God.

He lives inside of me. He hurts when I hurt, and He cares about me. So you better believe He will resolve those painful situations for me, whether by changing the other people involved, or simply assuring me of His love and He'll deal with them in His time. Cause He knows what's best for them too. In the end, sin is sin. I'm guilty of one part of the law, therefore I've sinned the whole law. I'm no better than anyone else, and they're no worse than anyone else.

He forgave us, so we forgive others. They don't deserve it, but neither do we. He did it anyway. So I will too. It's b/c I love Him, and His love is growing inside of me. Again, it's a choice. I love you: so I will forgive them...again, and again, and again.

Another thing is when you let something like unforgiveness or bitterness grow inside of you, when you choose to not forgive for whatever "good" reason, then you are embracing the enemy. He knows what worst for you, and he will cleverly use whatever means he can to steal your faith, your hope. The wages of sin is death...that's ALL he wants for you! Pondering how he can cleverly lead you aside from the truth and back into his hateful clutch. Back into chains. So don't be decieved by his devices!

Learn to love and fogive, ask God to help you forgive, admit that you don't really want to, but for His sake you do!