Monday, March 5, 2012

growing up, my mom always told me to have a teachable spirit. of course i mostly thought that applied to a willingness to learn, but as i grow older i see it applies to more than just the world of academia. i see now how this concept is applicable yes intellectually, but more so in my heart.

it's funny sometimes the seemingly unlikely places you learn things about life and about who it is you want to be. rarely do i feel that my day to day life has much of an impact on other people, and so often it seems that there is very little point in what i do. while i am grateful for my job and appreciate it tremendously, it is little more than a means. yes, i will perform any given task to the best of my ability, but in the end, it is simply a paycheck.

today though, i was given the opportunity to do something more with my life than to simply fill out spreadsheets or type up notes. today i was honored to spend my time with a group of delightful men who needed my help, and that of others there with me, to compose resumes. these men were kind, polite, intelligent, patient, and incredibly gracious. i was there to help them, but instead found that they were teaching me. Andre wanted to begin our time together in prayer. Kenneth led us all in a simple and beautiful prayer that truly displayed to me his hope and phenomenal attitude. the collective perspective on life that all of these men shared was mind blowing. they sat and encouraged one another and offered advice to their friends all while having the humility to admit that they also needed help. we were there to serve them, but they were interested in our lives and building relationships with us when it should have been us pursuing them.

a gentleman asked me why i was there. he actually thought i was in high school or maybe college. he assumed i was there only to gain course credit. as i carefully thought how i wanted to answer him though i realized there was little to think about. i was there because jesus would do the same thing. as much as i toil and fight with theology for any number of reasons whether it be my own pride or that i have legitimate questions, i cannot deny that jesus walked this earth and treated people in precisely the way i hope to do as well. in speaking with this man, Michael, i realized a small piece of that shroud that has been so tightly bound around my heart for so many years was torn away. in it's place i found compassion and love and a desire for understanding. i am truly blown away by these men and their character and integrity.

i may have written the resumes, but they in turn changed a life

No comments: