Sunday, March 11, 2012

it is for this reason that i can sit and say i have been arrogant, foolish, and prideful. i know i have been wrong, and i am not being dramatic or too hard on myself. i am simply being blunt, honest, and to the point.
it is written:
1 Corinthians 1:18-25

For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.” Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, God decided, through the foolishness of our proclamation, to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks desire wisdom, but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For God’s foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God’s weakness is stronger than human strength.


just this past wednesday, let's see, what was that? march 8 i believe. at the prayer service that night, i came to this realization regarding how i have been fighting so hard for so very long. i know i have been intent upon proving everyone wrong. i was so very angry and so very hurt. i wanted nothing to do with dog and pony show. i didn't want to be like those people. and then it hit me. i'm not like those people, and to share this common faith, i still will not become like them. i can be the one who shares this belief and yet isn't like the others. and that katrina my sweet friend, is my goal. i hope to be the one who people see as kind and gentle, compassionate and understanding, loving and generous, wise and hopeful. i pray that i don't become one of those who shuns others, treats people poorly, doesn't listen, and is too arrogant to admit her wrongs. i see how my intelligence is little more than foolish fodder. my questions, while some are valid and worth discussing, others are nothing more than a line of defense.

i don't want to miss it all. i don't want to run anymore, and i am certainly not in this for a fight. i am weary after over a decade of gnashing at the teeth. i welcome this peace and this rest. i won't be foolish enough to turn it away again.

5 comments:

Tad said...

So, your goal is to be a disciple!

http://www.northpoint.tv/messages/current

Anonymous said...

I find your post very encouraging, Alexis. :) I think the only thing that is going to keep you from becoming part of the "dog and pony show" as you called it, is to know Jesus. It isn't a passive thing, it's a pursuit, a fight, but one in which the ultimate goal is complete surrender. It goes against everything that is part of our nature.

Consider the parable: Mat 13:18 Hear ye therefore the similitude of the sower.
Mat 13:19 Whosoever heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, there cometh the evil man, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. And this is he which was sown by the wayside.
Mat 13:20 But he that was sown in the stony ground, is he which heareth the word of God, and anon with joy receiveth it,
Mat 13:21 yet hath no roots in himself, and therefore dureth but a season: for as soon as tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he falleth.
Mat 13:22 He that was sown among thorns, is he that heareth the word of God, but the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and so is he made unfruitful.
Mat 13:23 He which is sown in the good ground, is he, that heareth the word and understandeth it, which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some a hundredfold, some sixtyfold, and some thirtyfold."

The difference is how you hear, and THEN what you do. The goal is not to "not be like the others" (that was my goal my whole life until a few years ago!), but rather, to be like Jesus... Which begs the question: if "the others" are not like Jesus, then...? Do they really know Him? Or, perhaps the better question is do they love the truth?

Anonymous said...

I wanted to clarify :) what I meant. Scripture says to be grieved until repentance, but not unto death. I am a very introspective person and whenever I did wrong I would disappear into a room and wish I could simply vanish forever b/c I felt so guilty. This was something that God ended up showing me was condemnation. I was guilty, yes, but I came to see how Jesus sees these situations. How Father sees them. He's not sitting there getting angrier and angrier at me each time I sin. He knows my heart is to love and obey Him, and because He LOVES ME, and LOVES JESUS, he hurts for me. He sees what that sin is doing to me and it hurts Him! He sees those chains around me and only wants to set me free! And He has and is doing just that!

That's what I mean I said DO be hard on your sin. Attack with everything Jesus has given you! That comes with loving Him. Be grieved to repentance and turn to Him for forgiveness and with the choice "I NEVER want to do THAT again!It hurts me, and it hurts you, I see that now!" And then come life.

But do not be grieved to death...the difference between the two is 1) examining Jesus and loving Him so naturally, you want to get rid of all your yuck to be with Him, and 2) examining yourself...and the more you look, the worse you feel, and you become absorbed in your misery. Wallowing in self-pity. This is the enemy's intent to bring you back into death again.

So look at Jesus...and repent. It looks like you're already doing this, and THAT is what I find so encouraging! :)

~Katrina

AARice said...

so i have a question Katrina-
practically speaking, what does complete surrender look like? this is where i have trouble with everything pertaining to God. i'm a very literal person, so i don't always understand vague concepts like this. :( i try, but often it's just too ambiguous. what do i do?

Anonymous said...

Do you have skype?