Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A few things...

From the get go here, let me go ahead and say, this posting more than likely won't exactly maintain any one static theme. It's going to be a bit random, but random is sort of what I do. That said, let's do it.

First of all, I wanted to point out that I am of the opinion that writing is complicated. It seems that often people sit down with a plan to write something really profound, but it seems that that sort of writing always turns out to be the worst. It's like when a comedian is directed to be funny on the spot, and it just doesn't work out. They're funny people, but it has to come naturally. Same with writing. I think if people would simply write what's on their minds and hearts, they would produce a much better piece of work. Point is, quit trying so hard. I guess that applies to all sorts of things in life really...writing, being funny, sounding intellectual, being cool, etc. Give it a rest okay? Just be you.

Next up, I learned some things today when I went to see my counselor. By the way, going to counseling is so very insightful. I think everyone should go every so often just to get a check on what's up in life. Anyway, back to what I learned. In my counseling sessions, being that I'm a relational person, that is what we have been discussing on a lot of different levels. Today we talked about how I feel compelled to fix people because I intently see how they are hurt. This is all well and good, but something I had never considered was fixing my own hurt first. Hmm...that may not make sense. For example, let's say someone really hurts me emotionally. First I get angry, then I get really sad, and then I feel pity for the other person because I see his or her pain. Tracking with me so far? Okay, so what my counselor was explaining to me is that although it's great that I look at "exterior pain" (being that of the other person), I need to also look at the "interior" (me) and see what's going on there and see what can be done about it. Maybe that's common sense for everyone else, but for me, this is totally new concept. So, I'm going for it. I'm trying to look to myself to see what's going on there and see what's happening and why.

Hmm...there was something else I wanted to mention also. Hang on...

Man, I can't remember. I'm too tired to remember right now. It'll come to me later and I'll post a new entry. :)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I also feel the need to fix people. Maybe I need to see your counselor. xoxo