Thursday, October 2, 2008

oh yeah...

so I remembered the other thing I wanted to address in the last post. Here goes...

I was telling my counselor about how I've felt so restless lately-unable to sleep, feel like I can't breathe, sort of like the walls are closing in-hence chopping off my hair. It was either that or move to NYC. Seriously, I had to do something.

Being the wise man that he is, my counselor offered up this little nugget of goodness. He kindly explained to me that in his experience a state of restlessness as described above generally is Satan making an attempt to cloud his mind and create confusion so he doesn't hear God. I sat there and went over that in my mind for a moment, and then my counselor continued with his explanation. He told me that in those times of restlessness he's found that sitting quietly for 14 days and listening for God he has found peace. Now he's not saying to sit locked in a room without making a noise for 14 days. Obviously you have to carry on with typical daily activities like work. He referenced that verse that says "Be still and know that I am God." Good call there huh? My counselor also said that often decisions made in restlessness are not of God because our God is one of peace, not one of confusion. Now this isn't exactly a new revelation I suppose, but what a good reminder.

The problem for me though is this. I have no idea how to be still and just listen. Seriously, I don't know how to relax. I'm either going at 100mph, or I'm sleeping. There's no in-between. With that in mind, I have found myself striving to learn more. I need to understand why this restlessness has overcome me for the past month. I need to know how to be at peace and how to be still as well.

Any and all advice is welcome. :)

1 comment:

jnt. said...

read The 4:8 Principle by Tommy Newberry. it is changing my life! seriously.