Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ouch!

So when I was a kid, I was a figure skater. I was pretty good. I could do all sorts of spins and jumps, and I certainly wasn't afraid of getting hurt or anything like that. Well, today I decided to go skating...a mere 12 years since I was really involved in the sport. Not only did I pull a muscle in my shoulder, bruise my elbow, and bust my tail while quite literally bouncing across the ice, but my fragile ego got obliterated! I must admit, it was all quite comical.
I don't really think of myself as someone who overspiritualizes life or anything, but I do feel like my skating adventure today does dovetail quite nicely into my last post about living in humility. By the way, I think the word "overspiritualize" isn't actually a word. At least it isn't acknowledged as such by my spell check. I wonder if bootylicious is? Hmm...nope. It's underlined in red too.
Okay, moving on. My point is, even though I tried to do an axle today, which by the way I used to be able to do very easily and even with a little grace, and then I fell, slid and bounced my way across the ice, fell down the stairs at the skating rink (a 6 year old boy said "Hey lady, you okay?" I thought to myself "Great kid, thanks. I'm just an idiot."), and all around just sucked it up big time, it was a great experience. I suppose I've needed to be taken down a few notches lately. I guess I was at about an eleven, and I needed to roll in at around a 6. So, here I am--wallowing around in the recognition that I'm really not that awesome, and it's great. :)

No comments: